Singapore Children and Youth Art Competition 2021 – Courage, Hope and Love in the time of a pandemic
Courage, Hope and Love in the time of a pandemic:
Singapore Children and Youth Art Competition in 2021
by Visual Arts Centre
We hope to warmly invite all art loving children and youth to visit this wonderful showcase of award winning artworks by young artists under the two age categories in the art competition – Children group 7-11 years old and Youth group 12-18 years old. Sixty six artworks of various mediums will be displayed at the Visual Arts Centre Exhibition Gallery!
Do plan a visit between the full day opening hours from 11am-7pm from Friday 3 Dec to Sun 5 Dec to view the showcase and be inspired by the wide oeuvre of works!
Presenting the artworks of our First, Second and Third prize winners along with our 60 Artistic Excellence Award winners from both the Children and Youth Category!
Feel free to come down and show some appreciation for these young artists and their masterpiece!
Art Exhibition Details:
Date/Time: 3 – 5 December 2021, 11am – 7pm daily
Admission: Free for public, no RSVP is required
Venue: Visual Arts Centre, 10 Penang Road #01-02 Dhoby Ghaut Green, Singapore 238469
Contact us at 6255 0711 for any enquiries!
MRT: Dhoby Ghaut MRT Exit B (Please take a left turn upon exiting the MRT station at Exit B, and follow the directional signs to Visual Arts Centre)
Bus: Alight at Penang Road (Dhoby Ghaut Station) or Orchard Road (Dhoby Ghaut Station), walk to Visual Arts Centre
Car: Park at Plaza Singapura / Cathay / 9 Penang Road and walk over to Visual Arts Centre
We hope to see you!
In 2021, Visual Arts Centre is pleased to announce our inaugural art competition for children and youth – “Courage, Hope and Love in the time of a pandemic”. This art competition is organised by Visual Arts Centre with the intention to inspire the children and youth of Singapore to create original artworks based on their reflections of the courage, hope and love experienced or felt during the COVID-19 pandemic. This nation-wide art competition serves to promote and recognise the creative and artistic talents of children and youth. There are two age categories for participants, Group A – Children of ages 7 to 11 years and Group B – Youths of ages 12 to 18. All students within the age range who are currently residing in Singapore is welcome to participate!
The art competition will award three top winners from each age category with prize money of $1,500, $1,000 and $500 respectively for the first, second and third prizes. The top 3 winners will also be awarded with $288 worth of gift vouchers and a gift hamper valued at $300 each. In addition, there will be thirty titles of artistic excellence announced for each age category to reward the finalists of the art competition. The artistic excellent prize winners will be awarded with gift vouchers and goodie bags worth $100 each. The top three prizes of this competition are sponsored by the eminent philanthropist and veteran artist Mrs Wong Kwok Leong. The gift vouchers and goodie bags are jointly sponsored by Elite Natural, Meitoto Beauty and Global Ginseng Group.
Congratulations to all prize winners, great job!
Children Category – First, Second and Third Prize Winners
Children Category – 30 Artistic Excellence Award winners
(In no particular order of merit)
Caelan Zachary | Yanzun Wang | Llwell Teo | Catherine Koh | Shaozu Cui | Chew Rui Xuan Rachel | Sophia Kua | Chen Yunxi | Brayden Lee | Wang Yuexi | Zhang Zhi Yi | Zhang Zhi Yu | Tricia Tay | Jaden Teo | Chu Yigeng | Liu Zhile | Enfys Tan | Wang Anyi | Yang Jixiang | Leo Liu Zhixing | Kyra Kong | Jotham Yue Zheng | Kai Ying Cammi | Jia Jia Cui | Christopher Linus Ang | Jessica Lam | Junyang Li | Nixie Chaitra | Rubi Low | Shavone Foo | Llewell Teo
Youth Category – First, Second and Third Prize Winners
Youth Category – 30 Artistic Excellence Award winners
(In no particular order of merit)
Li MingXuan | Wu YiXing | Olivia Deng | Eric Wang | Wan Wan | Ruijin An | Ying Tong | Lee Wei Ren | Elodie Guillet | Tansha Surendra | Ng Shi Ying | Oh Siang Hwee | Lee Jia Rou | Samantha Bless Guillem | Samantha Liu | Zongyi Wang | Tee Hui Xin, Awentia | Martha Marie Lim Qiao | Zhao Jiaxin | Justin Teo | Li Teng Yi | Yu Xuan Caleb Goh | Salma Ma | Zhao Ziyi | Angela Poh Ann Gi | Ju Yu Xuan | Karen Owens | Yash Kashyap | Qin Qian Han Phoebe | Li Chenghan
Instructions to all Prize Winners:
A separate email will be sent out to prize winners, and in it would include information on the Prize Presentation Ceremony and submission of artwork for the Art Exhibition, please refer to the email on instructions to be followed next.
Please have your framed works submitted to Visual Arts Centre Dhoby Ghaut Studio on 2nd December 2021, from 12pm-3pm.
Do refer to the email, and if there are further question, do contact us at 62550711 via call or WhatsApp!
Prize Presentation Ceremony: 3 December 2021, 7pm-9:30pm
Venue: Visual Arts Centre Exhibition Gallery
Art Exhibition – Courage, Hope and Love in the time of a pandemic (a showcase of award winning entries)
Date/Time: 3 December – 5 December 2021, 11am-7pm daily
Admission: Free for public admission, no RSVP is required
Supporting Art Societies
This art competition is supported by major art societies in Singapore – the Federation of Arts Societies (Singapore), Singapore Watercolour Painting Society, the Lanting Art Society, and the Siaw-Tao Seal Carving and Chinese Ink Painting Society, and includes a prominent panel of judges comprising of established artists and leaders of art societies.
The Panel of Expert Judges
The judges are Mr Stephen Leong (President of Federation of Arts Societies (Singapore)),Mr Chua Mia Tee (Senior Singaporean Artist, Cultural Medallion Winner), Mr Choo Thiam Siew (Ex-president of NAFA), Mr Tay Bak Chiang (President of the Siaw-Tao Chinese Seal Carving, Calligraphy and Painting Society, Mr Seah Kang Chui (President of Singapore Watercolour Society), Mr Leow Wee Giap (President of the Lanting Art Society), Mr Fan Shao Hua (Senior Artist, UOB Painting of the Year Award Winner 2000) and Jason Tan (Global Chief Counsel of Federation of World Cultural & Art Society).
About the Art Competition – Courage, Hope and Love in the time of a pandemic
The COVID-19 outbreak in December 2019 has caused a dramatic loss of lives worldwide and posed unprecedented challenges to healthcare systems, food systems and the way we work and live globally. In Singapore, the COVID-19 pandemic has caused various economic, social and political issues and transformed how we live and interact with our friends and families. A circuit breaker was implemented last year and schools and most work places were shut down. Our flight terminals became deserted, our busiest streets and malls quietened, and we constantly adapt and adjust our work and lives to the new normal. Adults and children work and school remotely and play their part in reducing social interactions and adhering to the latest guidelines. Our frontline workers have fought bravely against the virus and put themselves at the forefront of the pandemic. From healthcare professionals who are risking their own lives to save patients, safe distancing officials doing their dutiful patrol checks to volunteers distributing masks and measuring temperatures… these are all facets of heroic moments and these heroes deserve our recognition and praise.
We would like to invite children and youths to reflect on the past year of the new normal and ask themselves if they have experienced any acts or moments of courage, hope and love in their daily lives. These could be personal encounters, lived experiences of closed family and friends, everyday observations, stories and moments. Following the theme of the art competition, we hope that children and youths will have an engaging and thoughtful time in preparation for the art competition. We look forward to seeing your wonderful art submissions for the Visual Arts Centre National Children and Youth Art Competition!
This art competition is open to all children and youth currently residing in Singapore. Participants may submit an original artwork created according to the theme of the art competition under either age category.
Group A: Children (ages 7 – 11 years)
Group B: Youth (ages 12 – 18 years)
*To participate in this art competition, please refer to the following guidelines and strictly adhere to the rules of this art competition.
Art Competition Guidelines
- Participants are to submit an original artwork of any size between 21cm height/length and not more than 60cm height/length. For example, the artwork may be 30cm (H) x 40cm (L)
- The artwork should be an original work produced by the participant for this art competition. The artwork should be produced from 30 April 2021 to 30 October 2021.
- The participant may freely express their artistic creativity in response to the art competition. The created artwork should adhere to the theme of the art competition and submissions which are irrelevant to the theme may not be considered. The artwork should be an original work and not a copy from an existing photograph or artwork. Hence, a participant may be forfeited if the artwork is found to be a direct reproduction of an existing photograph or artwork.
- The artwork will be judged based on three main considerations – relevance to theme and creative use of ideas and concept (60%), artistic technique and quality (30%) and overall artistic presentation (10%). The artwork will be graded and ranked according to these three criteria.
- Participants may use any art mediums – pencil, colour pencil, graphite, charcoal, pen, markers, acrylic paint, oil paint, watercolour paint, poster paint, Chinese ink etc.
- Participants may combine and use multiple mediums.
- The artwork should be created on a piece of paper/watercolour paper/rice paper/canvas.
Entry and Submission Guidelines
- The registration fee to join this art competition is $18.
- To register for this art competition, the participant is required to fill in their information and pay the registration fee online. Applicants will receive their confirmation email within a week of successful registration.
- The participant may choose either age categories – Children group 7 – 11 years or Youth group 12 – 18 years based on their age at the time of entry submission. Participants may be holding Singapore citizenship, PR or student visa and he or she must be currently residing in Singapore. (Participants are required to provide a local contact number)
- To submit the artwork entry for this art competition, the participant is required to fill in Artwork Submission Form online and upload one to two images of the artwork (the image file should be saved as Last Name, First Name, Middle Name (optional), Title of Artwork). For example, the artwork image should be saved as “Chen_Amanda_YingYing_United”.
- The artwork may be submitted from 12pm on 30 August 2021 to 12pm on 30 October 2021. No submissions will be accepted from 12:01pm on 30 October 2021.
- Participants must ensure that their artwork is ready for presentation and exhibition as all thirty artistic excellence award winners and top three prize winners will be called to submit the artworks for the exhibition and prize award ceremony in Dec 2021. Participants who fail to submit their physical artworks will be forfeited.
Key Dates to Note
- Registration Period: 15 April 2021, 12pm – 30 October 2021, 12pm
- Due Date for Submission: 30 Oct 2021, 12pm
*The artwork may be submitted from 30 August 2021, 12pm to 30 October 2021, 12pm. No submissions will be accepted from 12:01pm 30 October 2021.
- Announcement of Results: 15 Nov 2021, 12pm
*Results for this art competition will be announced on our website: www.visualartscentre.sg. All winners will be notified by email directly. Only award winners will be presented with certificates.
Exhibition of Winning Artworks:
3 to 5 December 2021 – Visual Arts Centre Exhibition Gallery
*All winning artworks will be exhibited at the Visual Arts Centre Exhibition Gallery from 3 to 5 December 2021. The artworks should be self-delivered by the participants based on the advised dates and timings. *Please note that the specific arrangements will be sent to the prize winners and all winning artworks will be exhibited.
Click Here for the frequently asked questions pertaining to the art competition.
For any enquiries regarding the art competition, please email to [email protected]
Please give us 3 to 5 workings days to respond to your enquiries.
Visual Arts Centre Address
Dhoby Ghaut Studio: 10 Penang Road 01-02, Dhoby Ghaut Green, Singapore 238469
MacPherson Studio: 140 Paya Lebar Road 03-04 AZ @ Paya Lebar, Singapore 409015