Singapore Children and Youth Art Competition 2021 – “Courage, Hope and Love in the time of a pandemic”
Calling out to all the talented kids and youths in Singapore, the National Children and Youth Art Competition has opened its registration!
What are you waiting for? Sign up now to participate in this meaningful and thought-stimulating event, not to mention you will stand to win attractive cash prizes and gifts!
This art competition is supported by major art societies in Singapore – the Federation of Arts Societies (Singapore), Singapore Watercolour Painting Society, the Lanting Art Society, and the Siaw-Tao Seal Carving and Chinese Ink Painting Society, and includes a prominent panel of judges comprising of established artists and leaders of art societies.
Entries will be judged by the panel of expert judges and 1st Prize, 2nd Prize, 3rd Prize and Artistic Excellence Awards will be awarded.
This art competition is open to all children and youth currently residing in Singapore. Participants may submit an original artwork created according to the theme of the art competition under either age category.
Group A: Children (ages 7 – 11 years)
Group B: Youth (ages 12 – 18 years)
*To participate in this art competition, please refer to the following guidelines and strictly adhere to the rules of this art competition.
Art Competition Guidelines
- Participants are to submit an original artwork of any size between 21cm height/length and not more than 60cm height/length. For example, the artwork may be 30cm (H) x 40cm (L)
- The artwork should be an original work produced by the participant for this art competition. The artwork should be produced from 30 April 2021 to 30 October 2021.
- The participant may freely express their artistic creativity in response to the art competition. The created artwork should adhere to the theme of the art competition and submissions which are irrelevant to the theme may not be considered. The artwork should be an original work and not a copy from an existing photograph or artwork. Hence, a participant may be forfeited if the artwork is found to be a direct reproduction of an existing photograph or artwork.
- The artwork will be judged based on three main considerations – relevance to theme and creative use of ideas and concept (60%), artistic technique and quality (30%) and overall artistic presentation (10%). The artwork will be graded and ranked according to these three criteria.
- Participants may use any art mediums – pencil, colour pencil, graphite, charcoal, pen, markers, acrylic paint, oil paint, watercolour paint, poster paint, Chinese ink etc.
- Participants may combine and use multiple mediums.
- The artwork should be created on a piece of paper/watercolour paper/rice paper/canvas.
Entry and Submission Guidelines
- The registration fee to join this art competition is $18.
- To register for this art competition, the participant is required to fill in their information and pay the registration fee online. Applicants will receive their confirmation email within a week of successful registration.
- The participant may choose either age categories – Children group 7 – 11 years or Youth group 12 – 18 years based on their age at the time of entry submission. Participants may be holding Singapore citizenship, PR or student visa and he or she must be currently residing in Singapore. (Participants are required to provide a local contact number)
- To submit the artwork entry for this art competition, the participant is required to fill in Artwork Submission Form online and upload one to two images of the artwork (the image file should be saved as Last Name, First Name, Middle Name (optional), Title of Artwork). For example, the artwork image should be saved as “Chen_Amanda_YingYing_United”.
- The artwork may be submitted from 12pm on 30 August 2021 to 12pm on 30 October 2021. No submissions will be accepted from 12:01pm on 30 October 2021.
- Participants must ensure that their artwork is ready for presentation and exhibition as all thirty artistic excellence award winners and top three prize winners will be called to submit the artworks for the exhibition and prize award ceremony in Dec 2021. Participants who fail to submit their physical artworks will be forfeited.
Key Dates to Note
- Registration Period: 15 April 2021, 12pm – 30 October 2021, 12pm
- Due Date for Submission: 30 Oct 2021, 12pm
*The artwork may be submitted from 30 August 2021, 12pm to 30 October 2021, 12pm. No submissions will be accepted from 12:01pm 30 October 2021.
- Announcement of Results: 15 Nov 2021, 12pm
*Results for this art competition will be announced on our website: www.visualartscentre.sg. All winners will be notified by email directly. Only award winners will be presented with certificates.
Exhibition of Winning Artworks:
2 to 5 December 2021 – Visual Arts Centre Exhibition Gallery
*All winning artworks will be exhibited at the Visual Arts Centre Exhibition Gallery from 2 to 5 December 2021. The artworks should be self-delivered by the participants based on the advised dates and timings.
About the Art Competition – Courage, Hope and Love in the time of a pandemic
The COVID-19 outbreak in December 2019 has caused a dramatic loss of lives worldwide and posed unprecedented challenges to healthcare systems, food systems and the way we work and live globally. In Singapore, the COVID-19 pandemic has caused various economic, social and political issues and transformed how we live and interact with our friends and families. A circuit breaker was implemented last year and schools and most work places were shut down. Our flight terminals became deserted, our busiest streets and malls quietened, and we constantly adapt and adjust our work and lives to the new normal. Adults and children work and school remotely and play their part in reducing social interactions and adhering to the latest guidelines. Our frontline workers have fought bravely against the virus and put themselves at the forefront of the pandemic. From healthcare professionals who are risking their own lives to save patients, safe distancing officials doing their dutiful patrol checks to volunteers distributing masks and measuring temperatures… these are all facets of heroic moments and these heroes deserve our recognition and praise.
We would like to invite children and youths to reflect on the past year of the new normal and ask themselves if they have experienced any acts or moments of courage, hope and love in their daily lives. These could be personal encounters, lived experiences of closed family and friends, everyday observations, stories and moments. Following the theme of the art competition, we hope that children and youths will have an engaging and thoughtful time in preparation for the art competition. We look forward to seeing your wonderful art submissions for the Visual Arts Centre National Children and Youth Art Competition!
Click Here for the frequently asked questions pertaining to the art competition.
For any enquiries regarding the art competition, please email to [email protected]
Please give us 3 to 5 workings days to respond to your enquiries.
Visual Arts Centre Address
Dhoby Ghaut Studio: 10 Penang Road 01-02, Dhoby Ghaut Green, Singapore 238469
MacPherson Studio: 140 Paya Lebar Road 03-04 AZ @ Paya Lebar, Singapore 409015